cAHILL umc IS AN OFFICIAL MARKED HISTORICAL SITE OF THE UNITED METHODIST CHURCH.
Cahill United Methodist Church is named for Aquilla Cahill. He and his family came to Texas in 1859. His family included the children of his first marriage to Lucinda Teague and his second wife, Nancy Lott Hudson and her children. Several siblings of his first wife, Lucinda, and their children accompanied him and his family to Texas.
In 1884 the people of the community organized a Sunday school at the Myers School House. The School superintendent was James G. Hudson, son of Nancy Hudson Cahill; E.T. Cahill, son of Aquilla, was Secretary; Joe Metze, Treasurer, and Professor Moore, Song Leader. In 1886, Money was donated to purchase an organ.(1)
The Myers Sunday School became Cahill Chapel in 1893 when 5 acres was deeded to the Mansfield Circuit, Northwest Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Aquilla Cahill had told his children that he wanted to have a church and cemetery at this location. Unfortunately he died in 1888 before this was accomplished. His daughter, Sarah Cahill Chandler Snodgrass deeded the property in memory of her father and because he wanted a church and cemetery at this location. In 1926, Mrs. F.T. (Naomi) Cahill and Mrs. Eunice Hudson deeded the Cahill Family Cemetery, located about ½ mile East of this location, to the Cahill United Methodist Church.(2)
The membership records of Cahill Chapel from 1894 to about 1910 indicate that 150 to 300+ people called this church their place of worship. Some early Sunday School Superintendents were E.T. Cahill, J.G. Hudson, W.D. Pollard, Buck Boyd, P.D. Gilreath and E.G. Maberry. Over the years this church has been part of many circuits and two church charges. Cahill United Methodist is presently a Single Charge Church.
The original buildings for Cahill Chapel was a bare wood floor frame building approximately 30 by 50 feet, heated by a cast-iron stove and lighted by kerosene lamps. Myers School became Cahill School in 1909 and was moved to South of the Church. A Delco Electric lighting system and water system was shared with the school.
In the 1920’s the Church Building was remodeled by lowering the roof and ceiling and wallboard was added. The entrance was changed from the center of the building to the Southwest corner. In 1938 rural electricity came and the school and church were made electric. Butane was installed for heating around 1948. In 1950 Cahill School was closed and the building housing and Delco System were moved to the Church and converted into Sunday school rooms and later into restrooms. In the early 60’s a 26 x 32 annex was added for a kitchen, Sunday school rooms and meeting room(3). This building was removed in September 2003, to make way for our new 40 x 80 foot building.
(1)From a letter from Lela Cahill Steel (daughter of E.T. Cahill) to Bob Grimes, Min. at Cahill, dated September 16, 1955
(2)Johnson County deed records
(3)Johnson County history - 1985